Enter your keyword

Kilmainham Courthouse

  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio
  • portfolio

Project info:

Kilmainham Courthouse was completed in 1820 to a design by the Dublin architect William Farrell, and was built on a corner with two street fronts of granite ashlar masonry. The exterior has a wealth of architectural detail including pedimented bays, triparite windows, and granite pilasters, brackets and entablatures. The building figured prominently in the 1916 Rising, and fourteen leaders of the Easter Rising were executed by firing squad in the Stone-breakers yard. As part of the conservation works to allow the building to be re-opened as a Visitor Centre as part of the 1916 commemorations, we undertook repointing and pieced-in stone repairs to the two granite fronts of the building, lime rendering to the rear of the courthouse, and the dismantling and rebuilding of chimneys.

Category
Conservation & Restoration